Thursday, March 19, 2015

Jesus Calling - Day 77 - March 18, 2015


Travel advice: missing your flight; currency in China; solo cruises


I am beginning to understand that trusting God is more than just one day at a time.  It is trusting Him one moment at a time.  Our world is constantly changing and moving.  When I can live each day just trusting Him to get me through, I experience more peace no matter how crazy things get.  The key is being aware of His constant Presence, “yielding to His gentle touch and being sensitive to His prompting.”  

I remember there was a time that I missed a connecting flight back home.  I had been in Virginia and flew through Chicago.  The flight was delayed in Virginia which caused me to RUN through the terminal to make the connection in Chicago.  Needless to say, I didn’t make it.   When I got to the gate, I saw the airplane sitting there.  They would not open the gate for me to get on the plane.  I had all kinds of “why not” questions.  Their answer was plainly, “Once the gate is closed we can’t re-open it.”  It made no sense to me.  I just didn’t understand.  They re-booked me on another flight three hours later!  

As I sat upset that I was stuck in Chicago, I got a telephone call.  It was from a friend whose young son was needing to interview a “missionary” for a school project.  He had 3 questions that he needed to ask me...and needed it that afternoon.    If I would have focused on my need to understand why they wouldn’t open the door to the plane...I would have missed His Presence in the simplicity of helping this young friend.  If I would have been on the plane, I would have missed a huge blessing! 

When I face other times of changed plans, I think back on this story.   God has a purpose and plan for everything.  I just need to be able to not get caught up in “worry-webs” and trust Him one moment at a time.  It is a much better way to walk through life! 

Just recently, I missed a flight home from Uganda.  That was a much more costly missed flight!  I ended up staying in Uganda for 2 more days.  It ended up being a blessing that went beyond my understanding.  I was able to go back to the children and finish interviewing each student.  I had run out of time and was going to have Godfrey finish the interviews and email me back with their responses.  But something significant happened as I sat with each student and listened to more than just what I thought I needed.  I heard stories of their lives before they came to Raining Hope.  I heard testimony of their lives before Christ and how difficult it was.  I heard how coming to Raining Hope (Living Hope at the time) was where they found Jesus...therefore finding hope.  It was 2 days that I will never forget.  

I would rather miss airplane connections than the blessings that He has waiting for me!!!  
mama eydie!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment