Thursday, March 19, 2015

Jesus Calling - Day 72 - March 13, 2015



I served in Haiti with the California Southern Baptist Disaster Relief group after the earthquake.   My role was a chaplain.  I vividly remember speaking with an older woman about Jesus.  As I spoke, someone on our team took a photo.  A light came shining through a break in the ceiling.  It hit just right above our heads.  I think of that picture as I read the words today, “As you sit quietly in My Presence, I shine Peace into your troubled mind and heart.  Little by little, you are freed from earthly shackles and lifted up above your circumstances.”   I was so challenged in my faith on that trip.  These people had lost everything.  Yet one after another they would say, “I may have lost everything, but I am alive!”  Others said that they had Jesus and that is all that matters.  The people of Haiti in the time of trouble and extreme loss, put it all in perspective.  They as well as the people of Uganda have taught me lessons in what truly is important.  

I truly did live my life for so long being shackled to my circumstances.  I spent a lot of years allowing myself to be robbed of my joy.  The chains were broken & I was set free the day I obeyed God and said, “I quit.”  This was the day that I quit my job.  But I realized that I also was making a proclamation that I would quit trying to run my life and turn that control over to Him. 

Life changing ... still changing but now FREE! 
mama eydie 

No comments:

Post a Comment