Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Jesus Calling - Day 64 - March 5, 2015




The first line of this devotion today caught my eye.  My first response was, “what?”  I can’t imagine making friends with my problems in life!   I guess I had not thought of it that way.  I have come to believe that everything does work together for good (Romans 8:28).   At the time that I might be tripping over one of those stumbling blocks, it doesn’t feel so good.  But when I look back on those difficult moments, I see how I needed to walk through that valley in order to get to where I am today.  

Just about the time that I was walking through my darkest time in my ministry, I accidentally cut my hand while washing dishes at home.  I ended up having surgery on my right hand and it left a scar.  The scar is a reminder not as much from the injury, but of how I survived one of the most despairing times in my life.  Even though I did not understand the “why’s” of what was happening, I know that it was all a part of the painting of His Masterpiece in my life.  The scar continues to this day to remind me that I not only survived, but I became stronger through the trials.  

The words to a song by Mandisa, “What Scars Are For" is a picture of how beautiful our scars can be!  

“These scars aren’t pretty, but they’re a part of me
And will not ever fade away.  These marks tell a story of me down in the valley
And how You reached in with Your grace and healed me

They remind me of Your faithfulness and all You brought me through
They teach me that my brokenness is something You can use
They show me where I’ve been and that I’m not there any more
That’s what scars, that’s what scars are for, what scars are for

Erase, rewind, wish I could every time
The hurt, the pain cuts so deep.  But when I’m weak You’re strong
And in Your power I can carry on.  And my scars say that You won’t ever leave

I see it on the cross, the nails You took for me
Scars can change the world.  Scars can set me free” 

Living Free, 
mama eydie 

P.S.   I actually do have “nicknames” for those problem times in my life!  Who would have known that was actually helping me to “approach them with familiarity rather than with dread!”  

No comments:

Post a Comment