Thursday, January 29, 2015

Jesus Calling - Day 23 - January 23, 2015





As I sit here at the River Nile, there is a peace that flows throughout my soul.  The Lord brought me here 8 years ago to teach me how to “be still and know that He is God.”  I have learned to “intersperse these peaceful interludes abundantly throughout my day.  It has enabled me to attain a quiet & gentle spirit, which is pleasing to Him.”  

I Peter 3:4 has been one of my life verses.  You know that I don’t have a very loud voice & I am not the loud one at a party!  But this verse took on a deeper meaning the past 8 years.  God had to bring me half way across the world to get me out of my busy life in order to hear Him.  Because of my wounded soul, I spent much time alone trying to make sense of a senseless situation.  I gained a new strength in the meaning of a 
“gentle and quiet spirit.”  His power can speak loud even if no words are said.   The kind of gentle & quiet spirit 1 Peter 3:4 is talking about is not weak.  On the contrary, it is strong & powerful because it is a spirit that desires to please Him above man.  (Romans 2:29) 

The people of Uganda have this strength.  At times their voices are so quiet it is hard to hear.  Their lives revolve around Jesus.  There is a stark difference when I hear visitors come with loud, boisterous voices echoing through this peaceful oasis.  The louder things get around me, the quieter I now become.  When I was being debriefed by Kristen White after one of my ISP trips about this, she said, “Eydie, the loudness of others really affects you because I don’t think you realize just how Ugandan you have become!”  I love it! 

I pray others would be able to see Him in me whether I say one word or not.  Coming back to the Nile is always my reminder of how His Peace speaks loud and clear! 

Quiet Before Him, 
mama eydie  

No comments:

Post a Comment